Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer
F A Q S scrabble tiles

Frequently asked questions about Juvenile Services

My Child is not going to school, what can I do?

Start by scheduling a meeting with a school administrator or counselor. They may be able to help address areas your child is struggling with. Communication between you, as the parent, and the school will support your child’s success in school.

My child ran away or is missing, what can I do?

Call your local police department, if you are not within city limits, please call the Sheriff’s office. These agencies will help you sign your child as a runaway. Your child’s information will be entered into a data system nationwide, so any law enforcement agency will be able to pull up your child is signed as a runaway or missing person. If you child is located within the state, they will NOT be lodged in detention (unless they have committed a crime or are on supervision that would allow for them to be held in a detention center). If they are located outside of the state of Oregon, they will be held in a Detention Center until a plan is in place to have them returned.

I am a runaway; how can I get help?

If you have been reported as a runaway. The best thing for you to do is either return home or turn yourself in. You can turn yourself in to any police officer (if you see one near your location or by going to any police department. If you feel unsafe returning home there are resources available to you. Jackson Street Youth Services 24-hr line 800-901-2904 is a great place to start. If you believe a crime has occurred please contact your local law enforcement. If you are currently in danger call 911.

How do I schedule my Work Crew Hours?

If you or your child were given Work Crew hours by the Courts or your Court Counselor, please reach out to our Work Crew Coordinator to set up when to start on Work Crew. Call or Text (541) 760-6737

What is the job of the Juvenile Counselor?

Juvenile Counselors supervise the youth.  They make sure the conditions of probation are met and provide services to reduce the chances that the youth will commit another offense.  

They work to build strong families, good school performance, and constructive activities with positive friends. These items provide the best chances of avoiding criminal behavior. 

Is the military able to access my records?

If you sign a release, we will release the information according to Oregon Law.  The following information may be released if a Formal Accountability Agreement is in place or you were found guilty by the Court: 

  • Adjudications if not vacated 
  • Dispositions such as Formal Accountability Agreement or probation 
  • Dates of dispositions and dismissals 
  • Conditional postponement 

Information may not be released if you do not have a Formal Accountability Agreement or have not been found guilty by the Court.

What criteria must be met to detain a juvenile?
  1. A youth may be detained before adjudication, if one or more of the following conditions exist:
    1. Fugitive – the youth is a fugitive from another jurisdiction, and/or an out of state runaway. 
    2. Serious crimes – The youth is alleged to have committed a crime involving:
      1. Physical injury to another person 
      2. Disorderly conduct in the first degree 
      3. A felony 
    3. Failure to appear – The youth previously failed to appear, despite proper summons, citation, or subpoena. 
    4. Probation violation – The youth is on probation for a criminal offense and is alleged to have violated a condition of probation. 
    5. Conditional release – The youth is on conditional release for a criminal offense and has violated a condition. 
    6. Firearm/Destructive Device – The youth is alleged to be in possession of a firearm (ORS 166.250). When probable cause exists that a youth was in possession of a firearm or destructive device (ORS 419c.100) while in or on a public building or court facility within the last 120 days, the youth must be detained for a hearing in front of the court. 
    7. Protection of the victim – The youth is required to be held in detention for the reasonable protection of the victim. 
  2. No less restrictive means can reasonably ensure appearance
    1. Youth’s behavior endangers self, others, or the community. 
My child uses drugs or alcohol, where can I go to get help?

Of course any illegal drug or alcohol use by a child or adolescent is reason for alarm. Whether it is your child’s first attempt or there have been other occasions, now is the time to intervene and get help from a professional. Level of use is broken down into five categories:

  1. Experimental use (one time use),
  2. Social use (two or more incidents, very irregular use and possibly some negative consequences),
  3. Habitual use (regular use, daily, weekly or monthly and possibly some negative consequences),
  4. Abuse (regular use and has experienced negative consequences associated with its use), and
  5. Addiction (regular use, has and has experienced significant consequences associated with its use, has difficulty stopping and may be in denial).

The form of help you obtain should depend on your child’s level of use issues. Your first step should be to obtain a drug and alcohol assessment from a professional who is qualified to perform drug and alcohol assessments. Our staff regularly respond to this issue and are quite well prepared to guide you to appropriate resources.

What is a violation, misdemeanor and felony?


Generally, an offense is a “violation” if: (a) the offense is so described in the statute defining the offense, or (b) the statute prescribing the penalty for the offense provides that the offense is punishable only by a fine, forfeiture, fine and forfeiture or other civil penalty, (ORS 161.565). Under most circumstances the fine limitations for violations is the same as that for misdemeanor crimes.

A “crime” is an offense for which a sentence of imprisonment is authorized. A crime is either a misdemeanor or a felony (ORS 161.505). Generally misdemeanor crimes are considered less serious than felony crimes.


A crime is a misdemeanor if it is so designated in any statute of Oregon or if a person convicted thereof may be sentenced to a maximum term of imprisonment of not more than one year (ORS 161.545).  A fine can also be imposed.

Misdemeanor crimes are classified for the purpose of the sentence into the following categories:

Misdemeanor ClassificationPrison Term MaximumFines for Misdemeanors
Class A misdemeanor1 year$5,000
Class B misdemeanor6 months$2,000
Class C misdemeanor30 days$1,000

Theft in the second and third degree (shoplifting), harassment, and some criminal mischief crimes are examples of misdemeanor crimes.


A crime is a felony if it is so designated in any statue of Oregon or if a person convicted under a statue of this state may be sentenced to a maximum term of imprisonment of more than one year (ORS.161.535).  A fine can also be imposed.

Felony crimes are classified for the purpose of the sentence into the following categories:

Felony ClassificationPrison Term Maximum LimitationFines for Felonies
Class A felony20 years$300,000
Class B felony10 years$200,000
Class C felony5 years$100,000

Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle, Theft in the First Degree, Burglary, Robbery and some Assaults are felony crimes.

What is a status offense?

A status offense is a law violation, (not a delinquency, crime or violation) which only applies to juveniles. For example, curfew is a status offense. A juvenile can commit the status offense of violating curfew but adults (those over 18) can, all things being equal, stay out all night long if they so wish. Other examples of status offenses include:

  • Runaway
  • Truancy
  • Possession of tobacco
  • Possession of alcohol, (though this is a peculiar one because it applies to those under 21 years of age).
  • Being beyond control
  • Behavior such as to endanger the welfare of the youth or others
  • Youth who commit status offenses are not thought to be “delinquent” youth.
I am the victim of a juvenile offender. What are my rights?

The Oregon Constitution, section 42 and ORS 419A.255 addresses victim’s rights. The Juvenile Department shall provide you with these rights upon request by the victim. Some of these rights include, but are not limited to, releasing information concerning the name, date of birth, criminal history and future release of physical custody of the juvenile offender. As the victim you have the right to be informed of future court hearings. You also have the right to be informed of the charges filed against the youth and have a copy of the youth’s disposition. If you have any questions regarding these rights or would like to pursue them, please contact us.

Back to top